The Main Dictionary
- aefvadh interj.
- 1 greeting, literally "be welcome"
- aehallh n.
- 1 a monster or ghost 2 an illusory creature, cognate
to "nightmare" in terran tradition that "rides" the dreamer to its perdition
3 the image or illusion that one being has of another, as opposed
to the true nature of the person in question.
- ael adj.
- 1 winged creature 2 prop. n. personal name connoting
a creature which moves quickly giving one little time to make out details.
- afw'ein n.
- 1 reason, logic, or logical mental process
- aidoann n.
- 1 the moon 2 prop. n. personal name, connoting
- aihai n.
- 1 plains, flatlands, prairie
- aihr indicative noun prefix
- 1 this is
- Arrhae proper name
- 1 worth-in-cash, originally "arrhe"
- arrhe n.
- 1 worth-in-cash 2 derog. a servant who performed
the duties of slave below his/her rank, modified to be "a servant more
worthy of a higher position than those awarded it"
- au'e interj.
- 1 Oh yes
- auethn imperative
- 1 advise me 2 answer a query
- ch'Havran n.
- 1 planet of the Travelers
- ch'Havranha n.
- 1 native of the planet ch'Havran
- ch'Havrannsu n. plural
- 1 natives of the planet ch'Havran
- ch'Rihan n.
- 1 planet of the Chosen
- daise adj.
- 1 chief, principle, senior, foremost
- daisemi'in adj.
- 1 chief among several
- seihu n.
- 1 senator 2 elder
- eisn n.
- 1 "Homesun", the G9 star 128 Trianguli
- Eitreih'hveinn n.
- 1 the Farmer's Festival
- enriov n.
- 1 admiral of fleet forces.
- enarrain n.
- 1 senior Centurion 2 colonel of infantry
- erei'Riov n.
- 1 subcommander 2 captain of the infantry 3 lieutenant-commander
of fleet forces
- erein n.
- 1 antecenturion or subcenturion [Note: Translation sources
vary. Officer-cadet of infantry or ensign of the fleet forces.]
- etrehh n.
- 1 machine
- fvai, fvaiin n.
- 1 child's riding beast and house pet [Note: Analogous to the
Terran Oligocene-period Mesohippus in size though only approximate in
- fvillha n.
- 1 praetor 2 a judicial-level official with some executive
powers, now much expanded
- fvillhaih n.
- 1 praetorate
- Fleet (Most specifically, space fleet, since the battles of Rihannsu
history were principally land-based. However, there was a later, enthusiastic
adoption of massed airpower in both the offensive and defensive modes,
and it is here, rather than in naval tradition, that the term has it's
- Cargo Space
- Cargo Hold
- Writing (see text of haudet')
- Data Transfer (Direct protocol transfer from one computer to another)
- Printout (from huad, writing, and etrehh, machine. Computer printout:
sometimes, screen dump as well. Cf hnhaudr, see above)
- Hfai, Hfehan
- Servant(s) (Bond servant earning a wage, but without the liberty
of changing employers at will)
- House (Noble families, NOT dwellings. see below.)
- Houses (see above)
- hlai, hlaiim
- Large, flightless bird(s), farmed for their meat; similar to the
terran ostrich. The very largest are also tamed for children to ride.
This, however, renders their meat unusable.
- hlai'hwy, hlai'vna
- "Held" and "Loose" hlai; domesticated and wild (game) birds.
- Engage (activation-imperative suffix, eg: "Fire!" "Energize!" "Go!")
- See (but not as an active verb; passive with an implication that
someone else must cooperate in the act of sharing or imparting information.
- Let me/us see it (see above)
- Hear (as above)
- Let me hear (see above)
- at/on/in (a general locative particle or infix)
- Head Servant (Head-of-the-Household. The senior servant among the
domestic staff, appointed as overseer and servant's manager)
- Head of House (euphemism: "The Lord", Most senior member of a noble
- H'ta fvau
- Come back here (To last place! Immediate return!)
- Transporter (Transmat. Not considered as a reliable form of travel,
most of the time (possibly understandable, considering that the technology
was bought second hand from the khell'oann-mhehorael))
- Transporter Room
- Bridge (Command-Executive center, the flight bridge of a ship as
opposed to the combat-control area. (See Oira))
- You are (sometimes imperative)
- Yes (Come, General response or acknowledgement)
- Fire Phasers!
- Multiple Phasers ("multiple" rather than "several" phasers, especially
in reference to the combat-control area)
- Hunter (Archaic, also a proper house-name)
- The Klingon Empire (See lloann'mhrahel)
- Cease (Cease, switch off, finish)
- Commander-General (Equivalent to a colonel of infantry or a commodore
of fleet forces)
- Worm (The annelid worm, introduced to domestic hlai-pens, which ingests
the acidic dung and thus processes it to usable fertilizer. Also and
- The Klingon people (however see khell'oann-mhehorael)
- A fruit used to make wine
- Laughing Murder; the practice or kata forms of a common Rihannsu
unarmed combat technique. Provenance of the name is uncertain)
- A sneaky person (not always an insult when used in reference to Rihannsu
people or culture)
- Diarrhea (as a result of mild food poisoning; a term exactly equivalent
to "The runs." "The Titanian two-step." "The (any number of edible object)'s
- That will do ("That's just enough"; barely adequate, sufficient.)
- The United Federation of Planets (However, the term translates most
acuurately as "Them, from There" (as opposed to "Us, from Here"). The
Klingons, once encountered, were promptly named khell'oann-mhehorael
("More of them, from Somewhere Else".))
- Fed (catchall title for a UFP member, translating exactly as a/the
- Federation Fleet (Federation Battlegroup, Task Force; the word has
aggressive connotations that do not differentiate between warships and
civilian vessels, but then Rihannsu have seldom seen the need to regard
ships other than ours as anything but potential enemies.)
- Good (Well, good, correct, satisfactory, inferior-superior mode)
- Good (As above, superior-inferior mode)
- The Ruling Passion (The concept, or concept complex, that rules most
of Rihannsu life in terms of Honor. Mnhei'sahe is primarily occupied
with courtesy to the people around one: this courtesy, depending on
circumstances, may require killing a person to do him honor, or severely
disadvantaging oneself on his behalf. There are many ramifications too
involved to go into, but generall Mnhei'sahe is satisfied if all the
parties to an agreement feel that their "face" or honor is intact after
a (social) or other transaction. NB: The concept has occasionally been
mistranslated as implying that a given action is done "for another person's
good." This is incorrect; such a concept literally does not exist in
Rihannsu culture. One does things for one's own good -- or rather, the
good of one's honor, and if properly carried out, the actions in question
will have benefitted the other parties in the transaction as well.)
- small birds, similar in size and flight characteristics to terran
hummingbirds. (family Trochilidae). With a poison-secreting spur on
the upper mandible of the beak. Also an insult, referring to a person
annoying or dangerous out of all proportion to their size, status, or
- neth (...nah'lai)
- either (...or)
- (neth...) nah'lai
- (either...) or
- Charisma ("look-toward, the quality of charisma or mass attractiveness)
- Announce the presence/the arrival
- Battle control (aboard warbird-class and smaller ships, this is the
same as the bridge-deck (see hwaveyiir) as the flight control area,
although rigged for combat; but on larger, Klingon-built Akif and K't'inga
class vessels the word applies to a seperate, heavily armored area deep
in the command prow.)
- qiuu'n (oaii)
- everything, "The lot."
- Avenger (A popular ship-name in the Rihannsu fleet)
- The capitol city on ch'Rihan
- Private name, fourth name, the name a Rihannsu finds within oneself
and then shares only with those closest to him/her.
- Sir (inferior-superior high-phase mode)
- "Indeed?" "Is that so?" (colloq. vulg. "Oh yeah?")
- The Declared
- One of the Delcared (A Romulan)
- relating to the Declared (Adjective: Romulan)
- Captain of Fleet Forces. "Commander" of a warship.
- Hostage-Fostering (sometimes the making of peace by the exchanging
of children, each to be brought up by the other's tradition to further
understanding and harmony. Sometimes the exchange is simply to provide
leverage and a surety of good behavior: "Don't do this, or your son/daughter
will die." Fosterings often start in one context and end up in another.)
- Pierceblood (The name in Old Vulcan, chosen by pre-sundering Vulcan's
most famous swordsmith as a reaction against the teachings of surak:
The name was also given to his swords)
- Minutes (Or at least, the Rihannsu equivalent, actually equal to
- A scavenger, analogous to the Terran hyena Crocuta Crocuta and employed
as an insult in the same way)
- understood (Inferior-Superior mode)
- Do you understand (Superior-Inferior mode)
- I request (an action) be done at once (superior-inferior, courteous
- ta krenn
- Look there! (Look at this!)
- Screen off (Usage for voice-activated equipment and (if used to another
person) very explicit superiority)
- Screen on (See above.)
- (the) prisoner
- A bird of prey/Warbird-class starship
- thrai, thraiin
- Predator, analogous to the Terran wolverine Gulo luscus; and possessed
of similar legendary traits for persistance, vengeful stubborness, and
- My word (Occasionally as in "My (given) word" but more usually "My
- go to... (A non-mode imperative, which if circumstances permit can
be used from low to high as well as the more usual vice-versa.)
- Attend me (Hear me/Attend me, more imperative than "Listen", and
- "What rank?" (Who are you (to be asking/doing this)?)
- highest/most superior
- Travel tubes (The public transport system of the five rail-mounted
cars, powered by electromagnetic linear morots, carrying 20 persons
in an enclosed weatherproof tubes.)